Thursday, April 24, 2008

Selfishness or sisterly love?

The choice of titles for my blog seemed pretty obvious. At one and a half, my girls are the epitome of the phrase, "monkey see, monkey do" (I really want the shirts that say this for the girls at CafePress: http://www.cafepress.com/). As parents, we so want to teach them to share with one another and take turns but it is an uphill battle! Although they have fits of selfishness, most of the issues we encounter are actually signs of their sister-bond, not their self-will. Playing with the same things, at the same time, even wearing the same clothes, seems to be imperative right now. They follow, mimic and watch one another's every move. Red grabs a doll stroller, and her sister abandons her book to follow suit. If Curly is scooting along on her trike, Red completely loses interest in the ball she wrestled away from her twin in the first place. Because of this, we have found it simpler to have sets of two of almost everything. This seems to be the concensus of most twin parents I've encountered, although perhaps a little less necessary for boy-girl twins. Although it's frustrating at times, I'm choosing to rejoice that my girls are close and want to join each other in everything! I'm happy to watch them become the best of friends as they grow older.

No comments:

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com