Friday, May 9, 2008

Potty training Day 1 (of what will be a 1000 day program at this rate)

A few months ago I found a couple of little potty chairs at a dollar store near my parents' house. They are almost identical in shape to the Baby Bjorn potties that get great reviews on Amazon. Since they were only seventy-five cents, I figured I couldn't go wrong. Yesterday I bought a pack of Huggies Pull-ups (Disney princesses!) on clearance with a coupon, so I guess we essentially have all we need. Have I mentioned in this blog that I am a sucker for a good deal?

My girls have no concept of pottys or bathrooms other than a place to take baths, so this may be a long road. And I don't have any delusions of "elimination communication" or early pottytraining, just a desire to end the use of diapers by age 3, which seems reasonable. Today however, the girls seemed very interested in the picture of the little girl on the pack of diapers, sitting on her little purple potty. So I explained that she was a big girl and sitting on a potty, then whipped out the little potty chairs and asked if they wanted to sit on them. Red, as usual was interested in obliging and started by putting her foot right into the seat. Curly tried sitting down and, finding it uncomfortable, jumped into my lap and started reading a book, as if to distract me. After I helped Red sit on the seat in the traditional way, she seemed to find it quite funny and spent a few minutes there pointing to the pack of Huggies and the "big girl" on it. Then we tried letting the baby dolls potty, then the big pink and purple doggies pottied. All very amusing to Red, who pointed and laughed, while Curly seemed suspicious that I was trying to trick her into something not in her best interest.

I think the next step will be to buy a couple of books about going to the potty. And who knows, maybe someday they'll even be willing to sit on the potties without their diapers. Until then I guess we'll continue to prop their baby dolls up and praise them endlessly for "going potty".

By the way, here is a link to the Pull-Ups Potty Training free DVD offer:
http://www.fsisolutions.com/KCPullUpsDVD/

1 comment:

Eilonwy said...

A bunny..... using the potty. I am.... confused....? Or....
perhaps disturbed? Maybe if it wasn't a darkly lit room, and a pink bunny.
Have you sold ought yet?

 
Watch the latest videos on YouTube.com